Matt Watson is the chairperson of McGill’s litigation group. He has assembled a track record of success before judges, juries, and arbitrators through effective advocacy and a detailed approach to complex legal issues.
Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
Matt teams with McGill’s clients to find creative solutions to their business-related conflicts. He possesses significant experience navigating through the complexities of inter-company and post-acquisition disputes. Matt routinely defends and prosecutes business torts, as well as claims of fraud, breach of fiduciary duties, breach of contract, and negligence.
Industries in which Matt has litigated or arbitrated claims include commercial real estate, property management, banking, manufacturing, textiles, agriculture, mechanical systems, foodservice, long-term care, and health care.
Matt represents clients in mediation, arbitration, and before state and federal administrative agencies, trial courts, and appellate courts. He has appeared before state courts in Iowa and Nebraska, as well as the Nebraska Tax Equalization and Review Commission, the Nebraska Supreme Court, the Nebraska Court of Appeals, the United States District Courts for Nebraska, Southern District of Iowa, and Western District of Missouri, the Eighth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel, and the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Matt also defends employers throughout the Midwest against employment discrimination charges before state and federal agencies and in court. This includes wrongful discharge, discrimination, and retaliation claims under Title VII, the ADA, the ADEA, and state fair employment practice acts.
- University of Nebraska College of Law, J.D., with distinction (2006)
- University of Nebraska, B.S. (2002)
- Fellow, Nebraska State Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Nebraska State Bar Association Leadership Academy
- Alternate Attorney Member, Judicial Nominating Commission for the Nebraska Court of Appeals (Third District)
- Court Appointed Special Advocate, Sarpy County CASA Program
- Member, Robert M. Spire American Inn of Court
- Member, Nebraska State Bar Association (NSBA)
- Member, NSBA Labor Relations and Employment Law Section
- Member, Omaha Bar Association
- Nebraska state and federal courts
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Commercial Litigation
- Employment Law